Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Meeting the Doc

We met Dr. Jimenez on Wednesday, December 2.

Funny, but I remember that date like my birthday. Probably because I counted down until that day for so long. I needed the relief I hoped it would offer.

We first met with the helmet company. At the time, Darren from StarCranial worked out of a small medical closet while his new office was being built. I've described this room before. And while I'll save you the monologue about it's inconveniences, the little room has a serious soft spot in my heart.

But not as soft as the 3x4" hole in David's head was after surgery.

Don't get carried away. :)

One thing our pediatrician told us going into the meetings, was to also make sure we were happy with the helmet company since we'd be working with them so often.

We met with Darren and he explained all sorts of fascinating tidbits. Like that cranial remolding has been around for centuries. One Native American tribe planked foreheads because a flat, high forehead marked a holy man or priest.

And now you may go ahead and thank the Lord that you were not born into this tribe.

Amen? Amen.

OK, moving on... Darren talked us through thoroughly and empathetically, then took some measurements.

Before our appointment, we were certain David had a very mild case...mainly because we thought he was so darn cute.

But after he measured once, he looked surprised. Then he measured again.

Hmmmm.....

Then one more time.

The "number" they want in a normal baby is 80. Saggital Craniosynostosis babies were usually around 70.

David's was 62.

David not only had it, he really had it.


Chris and I left Darren's office feeling really good. The low index number confirmed that he really did need the surgery. Darren was candid about the surgeries, had been in both the endoscopic and traditional surgery worlds, and believed whole-heartedly in the endoscopic approach. He also left his secure job at another orthotic company just because exclusively working with these babies was so rewarding.

We went back to the waiting room.

Wednesdays at University Hospital's Pediatric Specialty Unit is neuro day. And with Dr. Jimenez being so well-known for his treatment of craniosynostosis, 9 out of 10 patients in the waiting room are craniosynostosis babies.

We got to meet several families who were there for check-ups. All of them had already had the surgery. What a relief it was to see healthy, active babies and toddlers scurrying about the waiting room. Two of the families in the room were clearly Christians, told us they wanted to visit our church while they were in town and told us how God gave them the confirmations for the right surgeons.

(Along this entire journey, there were people god sent in my path to comfort me, bring me peace and hope. They were certainly in that category.)

We got back to a patient room and waited to see Dr. Jiminez.

David was all smiles.

I prayed from the start that the Lord would guide Chris's heart. Chris had liked the previous surgeon so much that I knew the Lord would really impress on his heart and mind what we were supposed to do.

I would follow.

While waiting there, Chris leaned over and said, "Well, I've had overwhelming confirmations that we are supposed to do the endoscopic surgery."


All of the sudden I was nervous. Really? Are you sure? 


He was.

We met with Dr. Jimenez and it went well.

I thought I would leave the hospital feeling: Relief. Closure. Freedom.

I just felt nervous.

But God was clear when he spoke.

With all of the confirmations He had given me before that day, I knew.

With all of confirmations He had given Chris on that day, he knew.

We both knew.

It was just scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment