Saturday, April 3, 2010

Humbling

I grew up in the country. I was raised digging in the dirt, splashing in a creek and falling off of horses at high speed. I love that I was raised to be tough.

I probably always clung a little too tightly to that fact, though.

You see, people who live in fear and worry used to bother me. Couldn't they just give it up and trust that God's plan is always bigger and better than our own?

I've often been beyond frustrated with friends as I listened to them express how they had great fears that were altogether unfounded. I wrongly viewed them as "weaker" and unable to overcome a simple obstacle.


By nature, I'm not one worry. That's just the way God made me. Quite the opposite however, I have always faced most situations with pride and a "can-do" attitude. As if I'm better than the next guy to accomplish this certain task. How foolish.

Last year, in view of this prideful attitude, I prayed a specific prayer. I asked God to humble me.

Now, I've been a Christian a long time. I've been a Christian since I was four years old...Since that Thanksgiving night when my then 8-year-old brother prayed with me as we knelt over my grandmother's 70's burnt orange sectional couch. I knew better than to pray a prayer like that. I had heard too many stories of people who prayed the "humble me" prayer. So I was careful in my wording.

Lord, I know I wrongly judge people who struggle with fear. I ask that you would humble me ... gently. Lord, please make it gentle though.

Oh how faithful God is to answer our prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment